For carriage and fire support of personnel of mechanised subunits.
Main differences of BTR-3E1 from BTR-80:
- more heavy-duty power plant, which contributes to increase in its running performance and decreases operational costs;
- the basis of the structure of the vehicle is the supporting armoured hull made from high-hardness steel strengthened from inside by Kevlar-type material;
- design of the armoured hull and the track & suspension system ensures good resistance to effects of blasting after the vehicle has overridden an anti-tank mine;
- the crew, while staying inside the pressurised hull, is protected against effects of NBC weapons;
- the armament, automatic fire con troll system and sighting systems installed in the vehicle ensure fast detection, recognition and hitting of ground and low-flying aerial targets to a high accuracy.
- bullet-proof armour protection against 7.62mm bullets, with a possibility of strengthening thereof to the standard of protection against 12.7mm bullets, power plant including UTD-20 engine, air conditioner, fire fighting system, filtering-ventilation unit with full-flow filter, heater, water obstacle crossing equipment, tractive winch with 6-tonne tractive effort, “Tucha” smoke screen laying system.
Armament (as a part of “Shturm” combat module):
- 30mm ZTM-1 gunж
- “Baryer” ATGM;
- 7.62mm KT-7.62 (PKT) machine gun;
- 81mm 902V smoke grenade launching system,
- fire control system (SVU-500 weapon stabiliser, “Trek” sighting system, “Panorama” panoramic vision system).